Based on the expert insights and interviews with young people, the Institute for the Future has created a profile of lead learners - a set of qualities, skills, strategies and resources that characterise young people who are the first to explore new paths to learning, careers and civic engagement.
- are able to imagine authentic personal futures;
- use unique ways to shape their learning, civic and career paths;
- strive to achieve their goals.
Lead learners have many common behaviour patterns that unite them regardless of geographical location. These models can inspire us to imagine the future of learning, work and civic engagement.
What about you? Do you have the traits that are necessary for future learning, civic engagement, and careers?
Evaluate your characteristics and behaviours individually, or together with the team, to see how much they coincide with or differ from the profiles of future makers.
To get a badge for this activity:
- complete self-assessment worksheet and think about your traits and behaviours as a future maker;
- if you have a team, share your results and talk with them;
- upload the self-assessment print screen, image or file and reflect on the badge task.
Get inspiration from the young people who were interviewed for the Extreme Learner research project to understand and imagine how new technologies, new ecologies, and new practices are disrupting how we learn, what we learn and where we learn.
The Network of Cities of Learning offers this learning activity within the capacity-building project ‘Youth co-design learning, civic and career pathways’. We are grateful to the EU’s Erasmus+ Programme for co-funding support for this project.
Get activity badge
Get activity badge subtitle
This badge is issued to people who have self-assessed and thought through their preparation for the future.
Based on expert insights and interviews with young people, the Institute for the Future has created a learners’ profile. These are people who possess a set of qualities, skills, strategies and resources to imagine personal futures, use unique ways to shape their learning, civic and career pathways, and lead to predictable personal futures.
Holders of this badge have self-assessed and reflected on their lead learner traits and capacity to make their future learning, careers and civic pathways.
Evidence verified by: One activity organiser
Use the self-assessment worksheet to think about your traits and behaviours as a lead learner. Upload an image, print screen or file of the completed self-assessment. Share your thoughts on the following questions:
- Which traits of a lead learner are most important to you in shaping your future? Why?
- Which qualities do you want to improve? Why?
- Where in your city and how can you develop qualities and skills that are important for your future learning, career and civic paths? What opportunities are missing?